Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Elbi On My Mind



The best years of my student life was spent in UPLB. I write this with much conviction because it is true - the 4 years I have stayed in Elbi provided me with some of my fondest food memories, that which strengthened my decision to be a professional "foodie" one day.

The late Ma'am Del Mundo who was our Basic Foods professor in the Institute of Human Nutrition and Food - was probably one person in the academe who has influenced me dearly - what with her strict demeanor and high standards. Our laboratory sessions were not only informative, it provided us with a keen sense of culinology, challenging us to understand the principles behind each step of the cooking or baking process. As I have already been cooking at that time, Ma'am Del Mundo made sure that we were "on our toes" and ready with whatever question she will raise. Not only were we pressured to know the principles, but ensuring that we have our complete set of ingredients for the same class also was expected everytime. I remember scouting the Elbi wet market (this was in crossing) for an entire hour just for fresh macapuno for our macapuno balls recipe. Any excuse is unacceptable. Get the item, get the grade.

My food education however, was not only limited in formal grounds. There was even more to learn outside the classroom. Interestingly, other than Buko Pie, Elbi had more to offer - I remember the very first Sisig I have tried in Sizzlers (I absolutely have no idea if it is still in existence) which was right across the Agrix supermarket and Theatre. These crunchy bits of pork skin and cartilage plus chopped onions were drenched with a spicy Knorr -laden sauce served on a sizzling plate. Amidst all the calories it had, I always devoured it with gusto. For the student with limited allowance, who can ever forget Ellen's fried chicken with its crisp cornstarch coating and salt infused meaty interior. And what about the infamous DTRI strawberry ice cream which to this day, is still the one to beat - never mind the other ice cream giants around. In fact, a couple of years after graduation, a "blockmate" and I went back to visit and intended to each buy a pint just to satisfy our craving. The only available size at that time was half a gallon. I will never tell you what happened after, but, let's just say that the steps of the Audi witnessed everything. (burp)

And who would ever forget our academic org's pasta buffet and salad buffet every Feb fair? Pre-sold tickets were distributed and it is during this time that our food service skills are put to the test - menu planning, purchasing, inventory, production, costings - name it, we did it. In fact, our booth was probably the most unique in a sense that ours was an interactive buffet - way more advanced at that time and much more interesting than the other booths (I'm biased). With food, you definitely can't go wrong.

It has been years since I have been to Elbi. Admittedly, visiting has always been put aside because of the demands of day to day. However, the rich UPLB memories and gustatory pleasures are enough to keep me satiated, for now.

1 comment:

  1. You may keep the boots:-) But you owe me!!! Maniningil ako when we go to Bangkok! Bwahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete