Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Sanity



I was getting crazy. After my kids got hospitalized one after another, and me being cooped up in the hospital during their confinement, I just had to take some time off in order to regain my sanity. Just this weekend, I was looking forward to a relaxed long weekend with the family, but no, we had to spend it in the hospital again. Good grief!

As soon as my son was discharged, I literally had to drag my hubby to Makati and make up for lost time. I was determined to go see what has been going on in the area, try some new restos, nourish myself until I gag, and enjoy food and dining beyond hospital food standards.

So off we went to the Greenbelt area and discovered that we have not really missed a lot since we were last there - of course there were a few additional fine dining establishments that have opened, but neither hubby and I were conditioned to grab anything fancy. We wanted comfort food, nothing contrived, nothing too artsy-fartsy - just plain, good cooking and a place that is totally unpretentious. We found ourselves in FlapJacks, a new breakfast-inspired resto of the Bistro group. Despite being there at 5 in the afternoon, we ordered the Blueberry Pancakes & hubby chose the Rib eye Omelet.

Rib Eye Steak, anyone?

Have you ever experienced salivating while looking at the graphic and well-executed menus of restaurants, and upon receiving what you ordered, your dish comes out looking differently from how it was shown on the menu? Well, I am happy to tell you that this resto did a good job in ensuring that what you see is what you get. The pancakes were superb and the omelet was generously stuffed with all its steak goodness.

Breakfast Feast: Blueberry Pancakes

A day after, work brought me to Caprisce in Metrowalk, Ortigas. Have I ever mentioned that I adore thin crust pizzas? Well, this new discovery offers a simple pizza combination called Cosa Nostra, which is your thin crust pizza topped with cheese, shrimps, onions, pepperoni and anchovies. Simply perfect, their pizza's are served in two sizes - 10 and 14 inches.

New Discovery: Pizza Cosa Nostra

Our group also ordered the Pistachio crusted Snapper and the Chicken Marsala. The sauces that went with these two dishes perfectly complemented the meats. The fish was served with a duet of pesto-cream sauce and squash puree, while the chicken with a brown Marsala-laced sauce.

Chicken Marsala
I just wished the chef stuck with using pistachio nuts as a coating of the fish rather than substituting it with another type of nut - (did he really think we wouldn't notice?)

Nut Crusted Snapper


Oh well, if there is anything that is always a challenge in food service establishments - it is consistency and truth in advertising.

Sayang.

I guess I'm not the only one who's crazy.





No comments:

Post a Comment